Pages

Pages

Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

Writing Groups

In my writing career I've never tried out a writing group. I'm not sure why I neglected joining one. I knew of a writer's group called the liars club. I can't remember how I heard about them but I was intrigued by what I heard and saw via the Internet. One particular member named Kathryn Craft I contacted online about them and she gave me the rundown. Even though I knew the time and place they met I still didnt go to a meeting. I made so many excuses not to go I just stopped attempting to go at all. Then after I saw the process of Kathryn's book go from manuscript to book deal I was happy for her and her success. Last sunday I buckled down and went out to the Willow Grove Barnes and Noble to sit in on one of the meetings. I met a literary agent and a author published by one of the big six. It was a breath of fresh air to hear perspectives from them both. Alot of the times authors have no clue why they are being rejected by a literary agent. Hearing from someone on the inside gave me a sense of what really goes into their decision making and what their selection process actually is. Sometimes as authors we can get discouraged with lack of progress. Being around like minded people was very helpful because knowing other people have expierenced what you have lets you know things will improve with hard work, dedication, and patience.

Now that I finally made it to a meeting I'm going to make it my business to attend future meetings!

No comments: